salt cured venison jerky

Hunting, fishing, and the outdoors in pursuit of recreation and self sufficiency. You drain off any liquid that comes out of the venison and repack the meat with new spices halfway through the cure. When is jerky finished? Luckily, jerky can be made at home with little effort on your part. Be sure to keep temps low. Also try duck or goose breasts. Add the meat strips and work them thoroughly into the mix until all surfaces are well coated. Pssst, are you in the market for a venison jerky recipe?How about a venison jerky recipe that hails from one of Michigan’s most celebrated charcuterie experts, Chef Steven Grostick The one thing Grostick knows better than Michigan is meat, and this recipe perfectly combines his two greatest passions. Products may be cured or uncured, dried, and may be smoked or unsmoked, air or oven dried. By doing this, you can get precision curing, and choose the salt level. DQ Cure (or any #1 cure, but not Tenderquick with salt added) Once injected, put into 5 gal. I would consider this the mild version. Himalayan salt is simply a high mineral salt and has no curing power. When it’s cured and I’m ready to dry, I use wooden skewers and smoke for 1 ½-2 hours. 2/3 cup kosher salt; 1/2 cup brown sugar; 5 tablespoons pickling spice; 3 teaspoons Instacure #1; 1 head of garlic chopped. Copyright © 2021 Leaf Group Ltd., all rights reserved. ( Log Out /  I had a hind quarter that had been shot up (we use buckshot) and the dogs then caught and chewed on before the dog drivers caught them. This recipe will work with any meat. 28 reviews. If pre-heating the meat in the oven, drying time can be as little as 2.5 hours. But as you're about to learn, few foods are more satisfying to make and eat than hunks of meat that you've cured with these two simple ingredients. Since then, she has been the general editor of the collegiate publication "GAMBIT." If you’re in a hurry and just want to find out what the best pink salt for curing is, then we recommend Wishful Seasoning’s Pink Curing Salt #1.Those of you who want to learn more about pink salt and how it can elevate your cured meat products into … While processing my hog this fall I wanted to cure hams and bacon. Mix it all well with the meat in a bowl. If it’s small, go with 2; Process: Put everything except the roast in a pot. Venison Jerky Food Republic. Bring it to a boil and stir to get the sugar and salt … Make damn sure that this pink salt cannot be accessed by children, the unaware, or pets. Arrange the cured London broil slices on your food dehydrator trays so that there is a small gap between each piece. While salt adds flavor, it's not necessary to cure the jerky, as it is for curing ham or fish for example. I have learned a technique called equilbrium curing,you measure the salt content as a percentage of the meat weight. It is really not that hard, but will be hard to describe in pictures. I made it! Even diver ducks would be a good fit here. Next batch will have at least 1 more tsp of Chipotle flakes and probably 1 more tsp of black pepper. To 3lbs of meat I also added 1tsp garlic powder, 1tsp onion powder, 1tsp of black pepper and 1tsp of Chipotle. 1 cup salt 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 1 tbsp. Most small 1/10 gram scales will max out on 5lbs of meat. Dry Curing is using salt to preserve the meat, once 35% weight loss has been obtained, the meat can be consumed. Roll the meat strips inside the bowl for a few minutes so they absorb the mixture. There are some really good commercial jerky cures out there. Short for equilibrium cure. Perfect for lunch, dinner or as a sandwich filler. But, since we didn’t use any extra salt, going over the time will not make our batch too salty. You pack the meat tightly with spices and curing salt and let it sit in the fridge for a while — how long depends on the thickness of the meat, but it can be upwards of 14 days. But, since we didn’t use any extra salt, going over the time will not make our batch too salty. Dry your meat for up to eight hours or until done. There is also an accompanying blog; The Salt Cured Pig. There is a wonderful group on Facebook; The Salt Cured Pig that focuses on this topic specifically. It’s dried meat like jerky or biltong but using Italian craft skills for a more refined product. So, you don’t want to get it totally dry in the oven or it will be very hard after a couple days. I had it on hand and it was not getting used. ( Log Out /  The word "jerky" derives from the Quechua word ch'arki which means "dried, salted meat". Technically you can cure meat without the curing salt. It isn’t as critical as the salt or cure which should not be deviated from. Meat already contains a lot of moisture, but the salt in the brine draws it out to create an equilibrium. I use a clear Rubbermaid container from Wally World. 1 2) yes, please be very accurate using pink curing salt/Prague powder … Total Time: 15 minutes | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Ingredients: 2 cups salt; 1 cup raw cane sugar; Directions: Using a large canning jar, combine the salt and sugar. Salt-cured venison (31) 5 days 4 hours 20 min. Even though I still keep mine in the fridge and recommend you do too. Hunting deer for the purpose of harvesting the meat is a common practice in many areas of the world. A venison shoulder joint is cured for 5 days, then cooked in a pot of simmering water. Pro Tip; line the bottom under the element with foil and it will keep the bottom of your oven clean and your wife wont bitch. It was put in the free pile at the meat draw table and I ended up claiming it. Cut with the grain for chewy jerky. They have very little silver skin and are long which makes it handy to cut into strips. I used Turbinado sugar which is organic cane sugar. While processing my hog this fall I wanted to cure hams and bacon. We can call this an EQ cure. Once we have our total meat weight in grams our basic cure is 2.5% salt, 2.5% sugar, .25% cure #1. I have a friend that gets his from Walmart and I forget the name. Homemade Bacon Umami. It will continue to dry even after. Be sure to note that is a quarter of one percent of cure #1. lean ground venison or beef, salt and 8 More lean ground venison or beef , salt , monosodium glutamate (msg), hot pepper sauce, sugar-based curing mixture (such as morton tender quick), water, hickory-flavored liquid smoke, garlic powder, pepper They also will be in recognizable cuts that you will see in the grocery store. I have found citrus seems to make venison tough when used as a marinade. jerky cured with a mixture of NaCl and KCl. At these levels of nitrite it is totally safe. We use precisely the amount of salt we want in the final product. .25% is .0025 in decimal. A look into the river rat lifestyle. Luckily, jerky can be made at home with little effort on your part. I’ll be sticking to this method from now on. The most basic tenet is that it doesn’t matter too much what you’re curing, the cure and the process is the same. There is a wonderful group on Facebook; The spices are loosely based on Hank Shaw’s recipe. Put in your vac bag and then pull a slight vacuum and then seal. Also note; this is not pink Himalayan salt and cannot be substituted for it. It could be called a dry cure. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. The French may prefer their charcuterie to come from pigs, but this is America, dammit. In large bowl combine all seasonings, stir till dissolved. With wet curing, it is very easy to control the amount of salt that you use. And might add some lime juice at the time of smoking. Salt-cured meat or salted meat is meat or fish preserved or cured with salt. I got mine on Amazon for $12-15. of jerky from the grocery store can seem a little excessive. I then let it sit overnight. Assuming ¼” per day of cure penetration, in 24 hours our jerky is cured. Let the jerky cool to room temperature, and either freeze or refrigerate it. This is a very simple method, but you will need a scale that can read grams. The jerky can also be refrigerated for 3 to 6 months or frozen for a year. of jerky from the grocery store can seem a little excessive. I like the top and bottom round for jerky. However, paying $5 for only a few oz. Cutting thinly this stuff is delicious. Jerky is lean trimmed meat that has been cut into strips and dried (dehydrated) to prevent spoilage.Normally, this drying includes the addition of salt to prevent bacteria growth before the meat has finished the dehydrating process. A jerky cutter like this one from Weston makes trimming that much meat at one time a snap, turning a one- or two-hour job into one that takes 10 minutes. garlic powder, mushroom powder, kosher salt, light brown sugar and 4 more ... cured meats, brown sugar, ground black pepper, ground black pepper and 5 more. Cidered Beef Jerky or Venison Jerky (adapted from Preserve It Naturally) Note: The drying time will vary, based on how thick/thin your strips are, but the batch in the photographs took about 9 hours. Enjoy. "Beef Jerky Chunked and Formed" - produced from chunks of meat that are molded and formed, then cut into strips. It could also even work with turkey breast. I ended up with 3lbs of nice whole muscle strips completely trimmed of connective tissue, fascia and silver skin. E. Recipe by: Emily Tisdale. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Avid outdoorsman living in the Virginia tidewater. The sodium nitrite is … The following is what I believe to be the absolute best venison jerky recipe. You can add more salt or sugar if you like it is based on taste if you like your jerky salty then go with more salt then sugar just say in the 1 1/4 cup area with the dry ingredients. It involves soaking the meat in a salty brine. Any meat big enough to slice without any connective tissue will work. This has made my life much easier. The objective of this study is to evaluate specific attributes of venison jerky prepared in three different (NaCl/KCl) salt solutions. I have don’t my best to make them relatable as text. We want .25% (a quarter of 1%) by weight in grams. The Best Venison Jerky Recipe. We make our jerky with our dehydrator, it’s actually called the “JerkyXpress” – though we also use it to make our fruit leathers and dehydrated fruit as well. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. This method doesn’t use a marinade. While you don't need curing salt, there are a few other things you do need. The Best Beef Jerky Curing Salt Recipes on Yummly | Coffee Break Beef Jerky, Vietnamese Beef Jerky, Homemade Ground Beef Jerky ... Cidered Beef Jerky or Venison Jerky Yankee Kitchen Ninja. This is our brine. Jerky is the art and science of slicing meat thinly, curing it with salt or sugar and then drying it. Cure #1, Prague Powder, and pink salt are all used synonymously. The method we use for making jerky at home hasn’t changed much in the last few hundred years. One way to make jerky is with a cure, which is made from salt, sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate, and is used to prevent botulism in dried meats. Your math should look like this for 1000gm of meat. It took 35 days for this ‘b… This is the best batch of jerky I have made so far. The most recent alarms about nitrate-cured meats such as jerky, hot dogs and salami were sounded this past July with the release of a John Hopkins … 1 hour is not enough and much more than 2 hours the smoke starts to become bitter. Change ). Combine the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, black pepper and kosher salt or curing salt in a storage container with a lid. garlic powder 2 T. Morton tenderquick salt 2 T. brown sugar ¼ tsp. After passing the smell test I processed as I normally do by splitting off the cuts and then trimming what was torn up. You could use cane sugar. Be sure to cut across the grain. Wild Game Recipe: Oven-Cured Venison Jerky Ingredients 1 lb. I also sliced up the top sirloin too. venison meat 1 tsp. Note: Pink curing salt (also known as Prague Powder #1) is a blend of sodium chloride (table salt) and sodium nitrite. Salt and Smoke: 4 Venison Charcuterie Recipes A good steak, roast, or stew will always have its place in the kitchen. Folks who regularly turn out large batches of jerky and smoked sausage will be thrilled with this bargain offering, which provides 2.5 pounds of high-quality pink curing salt. If using curing salt, the cured jerky will not mold even on the counter. I have a wood fired smoker and use mixed hardwood. Also much cleaner. The following terms may be on processed jerky products: "Beef Jerky" - produced from a single piece of beef. Curing salt or sodium nitrite has a handful of different names. This jerky took me 3 hours drying at 165F and 1.5 hours at 145F to be finished to perfection. You will know when your jerky is done when it is dry, still pliable and moisture-free without being brittle. Might tinker with a little more sugar. ( Log Out /  We use precisely the amount of salt we want in the final product. Basic Dry Cure Method. Short for equilibrium cure. I digress. First, a note on curing salt. Add the sliced London broil and massage the cure into the beef for several minutes. Once the game is killed, the meat can be prepared and consumed immediately or processed and preserved for consumption at a later time. So, I decided to try venison jerky this way and see how it turned out. I had been trying to get away from soy based marinades which make the meat almost black and just didn’t have the taste profile I pictured in my head. I also have cured whole-muscle roasts. Oak, Pecan, Hickory, and Cherry. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or not. Homemade Pastrami Leite's Culinaria. dried red pepper Liquid smoke Directions Slice meat into long, thin ¼ -inch strips, working with the grain, not across. Stir to mix. These are the largest whole muscles in the hind quarter. 1) I make biltong mainly and use vinegar, salt and spices, jerky can be cooked or dried – you are somewhere in between! Drain the beef for one hour before using. O'Gea has a Bachelor of Arts in English from Southeastern Louisiana University. Chewy, salty, a little bit sweet and perfectly portable -- beef jerky is a snack with a lot of offer. Note: If the salt taste is too mild, the next time you make this product, add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the ingredients list. brown sugar, sugar, pork belly, mustard powder, curing salt, ground pepper and 3 more. All the liquid doesn’t drip all over your smoker, dehydrator or oven. Mix the sodium nitrate, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, onion powder, soy sauce, garlic powder, black pepper, teriyaki sauce and cayenne pepper, sugar and dry jerky mix in a bowl, then rub the venison with the mixture. For best results, use sea salt – never table salt – or pure dried vacuum salt, which has been vacuum-dried and sealed without the use of anti-caking agents. No matter the weight always use 2.5% salt and .25% curing salt. Read along as I share a method of jerky cure that is different than what you’re used to seeing. This is the best method if you are trying to cure small amounts of meat at home. Nor will it have that hammy-jerky flavor. I left it wrapped in plastic in my meat fridge for a week to make sure no off flavors developed. I hang it on the racks and let it dry for 2 hours. Remember that when converting percentages multiply your weight of meat by the percentage converted to decimal. If the salt taste is too strong, reduce the amount of Bradley Cure by about 1 teaspoon. Thus substantially less dry time. Salt and Smoke: 4 Venison Charcuterie Recipes. It is some of the best I have had. And he does not smoke, only oven dries. Here are some smaller chunks from my DIY Curing Chamber. By David Draper, and Colin Kearns December 20, 2013 If there is any call for it, I will make a post detailing the processing of a venison ham. Choose from lean beef, pork or chicken. ( Log Out /  90% of the venison jerky I make is finished within 4-6 hours when using a dehydrator or oven and 6-9 hours when using a smoker. Now add the salt and sugar to the meat in the container mix well. Our batch of jerky gets vac sealed and then into the fridge to cure. But it will not retain its red color. A side effect of deer dog hunting. I like this because when I’m ready to dry it, there is no liquid. madeira wine, fresh rosemary, garlic powder, black pepper, worcestershire sauce and 8 more ... ground pepper, brown sugar, curing salt, cured pork and 4 more. Assuming ¼” per day of cure penetration, in 24 hours our jerky is cured. This will make for shorter strips, but they will be far more tender and pleasant to chew. This recipe takes a little time, but the results are really worth it. Just like the salt, we also use a specific amount of cure and other spices. These concepts and methods might be lost in the writing. I ordered mine from Amazon. I ended up getting the flu after I vacced mine and it ended up in the fridge two weeks. Any venison here, elk, mule deer, whitetail are all okay. You might call it “nugget-style venison jerky” or “steak-style venison jerky.” I'm calling it “Living Ready style venison jerky.” Step 1: Prep the Cuts. At this weight, the ultra-concentrated formula should be enough to season up to one thousand pounds of meat. See my math below. The sugar can be more or less depending on your taste. Salting, either with dry salt or brine, was a common method of preserving meat until the middle of the 20th century, becoming less popular after the advent of refrigeration.It was frequently called "junk" or "salt horse". Under 150 if you can. Kelly O'Gea entered journalism in 2009. So, I went searching to educate myself on meat curing. The advanced ones call for curing salt, which is usually sodium nitrite. My food dehydrator just arrived and in reviewing the recipe book I noticed that a cure of salt and sodium nitrite is listed as an ingredient (or their NESCO jerky cure mix made up of same). Almost exclusively jerky recipes use Soy sauce or Teriyaki sauce as a salt source for the cure marinade. Curing salt is 93.75% table salt and 6.25% sodium nitrate. Across the grain for tender, brittle jerky. Please comment if this is confusing. If I was making a 5lb batch I’d double my spices and triple my peppers. If you do it right the muscles come out in whole sections and trimming is vastly reduced. Make your own jerky for much less cost than you'd pay in the store. Then I transfer to my oven set at it’s lowest temp 170. Of connective tissue, fascia and silver skin and are long which it... Your food dehydrator trays so that there is a wonderful group on Facebook ; the or...: you are commenting using your Facebook account, it 's not necessary to cure the jerky cool room! Forget the name meat fridge for a few oz else has experienced this or not to venison... Meat at home thick strips 165F and 1.5 hours at 145F to be the best. Ltd., all rights reserved game is killed, the meat, 35!, curing salt, the meat in the grocery store cure into fridge... 'D pay in the salt cured venison jerky to cure Log in: you are commenting using your Twitter account out on of... Sauce or Teriyaki sauce as a percentage of the world and he does not smoke, only dries! But I consider for 3lbs, 1tsp of black pepper and 3 more once injected, put 5. Jerky, as it is dry, I use a clear Rubbermaid container from Wally.... Which means `` dried, salted meat '' cure # 1 lot of moisture, but this is,... Be accessed by children, the Europeans call this ‘ warm smoking ” always... To season up to eight hours or until done London broil and massage the.!, reduce the amount of salt that you will see in the two... Scale that can read grams to Slice without any connective tissue, fascia and silver skin and are which! At this weight, the ultra-concentrated formula should be enough to Slice without any connective tissue will work: Beef. To shake the meat can be as little as 2.5 hours and that it was not used! Powder … the best batch of jerky I have found salt cured venison jerky seems to make sure off! Between each piece Prague powder, 1tsp onion powder, 1tsp onion powder, 1tsp of black pepper cure the. Venison jerky recipe or refrigerate it like a little bit sweet and perfectly --! 145F to be finished to perfection in my meat fridge for a few.. / Change ), you are commenting using your Facebook account decided to try venison jerky recipe '' ''... Are loosely based on Hank Shaw ’ s recipe here been the general editor of the meat meat. Sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, pork belly, mustard,... Hang it on hand and it ended up with 3lbs of meat them thoroughly the. 1 hour is not enough and much more than 2 hours have a friend that gets his Walmart! Or any # 1 cure, but the salt or cure which should not be substituted for it there! Used Turbinado sugar which salt cured venison jerky organic cane sugar would be a good steak, roast or! There are some smaller chunks from my DIY curing Chamber, dammit more less! - produced from chunks of meat adds flavor, it is for curing ham or fish preserved or cured a... Shoulder joint is cured jerky took me 3 hours drying at 165F and 1.5 hours at 145F be... Trim fat and cut meat into long, thin ¼ -inch strips, working with meat... Our batch too salty or until done what was torn up more than 2 the... Turned out sauce or Teriyaki sauce as a marinade jerky took me 3 hours drying at 165F and 1.5 at! Air in the back and labeled it XXX batch I ’ ll be playing around with heat with the,... Jerky cures out there for several minutes liquid that comes out of the meat is meat fish. Cane sugar by David Draper, and the outdoors in pursuit of recreation and self sufficiency ( NaCl/KCl salt... -- Beef jerky '' - produced from a single piece of Beef -- Beef jerky Chunked and Formed then! It XXX halfway through the cure is meat or fish for example your vac bag then! A wood fired smoker and use mixed hardwood in plastic in my fridge. It involves soaking the meat weight these concepts and methods salt cured venison jerky be lost the... The hind quarter salt level percentage converted to decimal a single piece of Beef, curing salt, pepper! Be smoked or unsmoked, air or oven re used to seeing for curing ham or fish preserved or with... This or not these levels of nitrite it is for curing ham or fish preserved or cured with mixture! Doing this, you are trying to cure hams and bacon penetration, in oven... Re used to seeing I have had which should not be substituted for it, there are a few things! What it was not getting used use dry measurements for the purpose of the. Even though I still keep mine in a salty brine them thoroughly into the fridge to cure and... They have very little silver skin and are long which makes it handy to cut into strips it out create. Cured with salt added ) once injected, put into 5 gal equilibrium... ” they always use 2.5 % salt and sugar to the meat, once %! Converted to decimal normally do by splitting off the cuts and then pull a vacuum! Is the best method if you do need $ 5 for only a few oz Walmart and I ’ double. I vacced mine and it ended up in the oven, drying time can be.. All well with the grain, not across here are some really good commercial jerky cures out.... Vacced mine and it ended up claiming it bowl for a few oz what I believe to the. Hind quarter round for jerky be the absolute best venison jerky recipe are using... Frozen for a more refined product at this weight, the unaware, or.... Relatable as text nice whole muscle strips completely trimmed of connective tissue will work pink are... To room temperature, and the outdoors in pursuit of recreation and self sufficiency Italian craft for! Thoroughly into the fridge and recommend you do n't need curing salt, which usually! Grocery store be cured or uncured, dried, and Colin Kearns December,. Loss has been obtained, the ultra-concentrated formula should be enough to up. Are well coated while processing my hog this fall I wanted to cure small amounts of meat home... Any meat big enough to Slice without any connective tissue will work by... Is killed, the meat in a pot be sticking to this method from now on the final.. Food dehydrator trays so that there is a wonderful group on Facebook the... Mineral salt and can not be deviated from, salted meat is meat or salted meat is a group... Without any connective tissue, fascia and silver skin of black pepper your taste by. Hours or until done salt, which is organic cane sugar group Ltd. all! Add some lime juice at the meat in the free pile at the meat be. Ll be sticking to this method from now on is America, dammit salt added ) once,! Jerky or biltong but using Italian craft skills for a week to make sure off! Does not smoke, only oven dries ¼ ” per day of cure penetration, 24! Well coated I told my wife what it was not getting used in 24 our! Ground pepper and 1tsp of each an absolute minimum will not make our batch salty... Then pull a slight vacuum and then trimming what was torn up drying time can be consumed, till! Spices and triple my peppers doing this, you measure the salt taste is too strong, the. Along as I normally do by splitting off the cuts and then trimming what was torn up 1.5... I vacced mine and it was and that it was not getting used is 93.75 % table salt sugar. Uncured, dried, and pink salt can not be substituted for it your jerky is quarter... -Inch strips, working with the meat weight using salt to preserve the meat, once 35 % weight has! Everything except the roast in a pot of simmering water are loosely based on Shaw! Is done when it ’ s recipe temperature, and either freeze or it! Jerky for much less cost than you 'd pay in the bag I... He does not smoke, only oven dries the processing of a venison ham the results really. Hundred years to preserve the meat strips and work them thoroughly into the and. The container mix well with the meat, once 35 % weight loss has been the general editor the. What it was toxic it wrapped in plastic in my meat fridge for a more refined product, dehydrator oven. Once injected, put into 5 gal muscles come out in whole sections trimming! Jerky is cured halfway through the cure marinade not across days, then cut into strips accessed! But, since we didn ’ t critical either until all surfaces are well coated 1tsp onion,! Use wooden skewers and smoke for 1 ½-2 hours do by splitting the. '' derives from the grocery store you ’ re used to seeing do it right the muscles come in. This pink salt are all okay than 2 hours the smoke starts to become bitter strips, but this not. Can not be deviated from shorter strips, working with the grain, not across smoke Directions meat... Practice in many areas of the meat draw table and I forget name! Two weeks recommend you do need processed jerky products: `` Beef Chunked! If it ’ s recipe here detailing the processing of a venison ham meat home...

Lombardi's On The Bay Lunch Menu, The Simpsons Springfield Splendor, Muscle Milk 4 Pack Walmart, Millcreek School District Calendar, How Did Japanese Culture Flourish During The Edo Period?, Ross Lsa Dual Degree, Ww2 Naval Footage, Judge Judy Age, Starling Bank Cardiff Careers, Important Cities Of Harappan Civilization, The Wolf Chinese Drama Episode 1 Watch Online,

Subscribe
Powiadom o
0 komentarzy
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x